Alien help for newbie.

Brian Durant linuxnewbiedk at yahoo.dk
Fri Jan 28 01:55:21 UTC 2005

 --- Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net> skrev:
> Sorry, somehow in my mind I merged --dry-run with
> --no-act.
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:46:00PM +0100, Brian
> Durant wrote:
> >  --- Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net> skrev:
> stardict-2.4.4-1.i386.rpm
> > > and
> > > 4.10,
> documentation
> > > that
> > > alien
> of
> before I
> > > do a
> > > noarch.rpm
> to be
> > > break
> > >
> > > It would probably be better to run alien without
> the
> > > -i option and
> > > convert each of them to a .deb package, then run
> > > dpkg -i to install
> > > them. You could run 'dpkg --no-run -i
> > > <filename.deb>' to simulate
> > > the installation.
> >
> > OK, I got the .RPMs converted to .deb packages,
> but
> > dpkg returned the following:
> >
> > /stardict $ dpkg --no-run -i
> stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb
> > dpkg: unknown option --no-run
> >
> > dpkg help suggests: --no-act|--dry-run|--simulate
> Just
> > say what we would do - don't do it
> >
> > that returned:
> >
> > /stardict $ dpkg --no-act|--dry-run|--simulate
> > stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb
> > dpkg: need an action option
> >
> > Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe
> it
> > through `less' or `more' !
> > bash: --dry-run: command not found
> > bash: --simulate: command not found
> >
> > Cheers,

Sa right. Does the following that was in my last
posting look as if the package would be installed
correctly onto my system?

/stardict $ sudo dpkg --dry-run -i
stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb
Password:
Selecting previously deselected package stardict.
(Reading database ... 72623 files and directories
currently installed.)
Unpacking stardict (from stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb)

Cheers,

Brian