Tweaking XFree for 2D cards by hand ?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Jan 26 01:39:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:09:52AM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> I would like to try switching from the on-board 3D Nvidia video chip, to
> an old, PCI, Matrox Millenum card, which I guess had no 3D functions
> whatsoever given it's era ?

It does have 3D functions, but they are eclipsed by your onboard's. You
will be using the "mga" driver, which does support the Millenium 1. I'm
using one right now, in fact, on Warty.

> I will have to remove the nvidia driver ("nvidia-glx" package), but
> then, there are a bunch of modules loaded in XF86Config-4, I assume some
> of them must be removed when not using a 3D card (?), or is it safe to
> leave them all loaded even if they are not used ?

It is safe to leave them (to allow them to load); they'll use up a
negligible amount of memory. If you're miserly, you can comment out the
following:

> "GLcore"
> "bitmap"
> "dri"
> "glx"
> "record"
> "speedo"
> "type1"
> "v4l"
> "vbe"
> "xtt"

> I don't know what 99% of them mean. But I think "dri" and "GLcore" and
> "glx" might have to do with 3D cards ? Should I remove them ?

DRI is the infrastructure needed to enable accelerated glx. You may
comment them out if you so choose (hence I listed them above).

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc