Ubuntu Stability

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 26 00:49:37 UTC 2005

> If memtest shows errors you can assume that your memory is defect, but I
> wouldn't trust it the other way round. Try compiling a kernel

Unless I find a "HowTo compile a Kernel" for dummies, I am afraid I am
nowhere near knowledgeable enough to even remotely consider embaking in
such an adventure ! ;o)

> with 'make -j bzimage'. If you get a signal 11 error your memory is defect. If not,
> it's likely not.

What does this command do that a 7 hour dedicated memory test program
couldn't catch ? :-/

I think maybe the CPU could be at fault. As I said, it's been running
for 2+ years at 65 degrees or so. Is that too high, could it have
damaged the CPU ? I am now using the athcool package and it runs at only
30/35 degrees now, but I guess if got damaged in the past, it's now too
late ! :-/
Is there a program to test the CPU, like there is one to test the
memory ??

Regards,

Vince