eth1394 (was Re: Relative Newbie With Fatal Errors during boot problem (Problem 3).)

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:51:41 UTC 2005

For what its worth, I have used eth1394 to scp a heap of stuff from a
laptop to my desktop. It worked well. Simply plug one end of a regular
firewire cable into each computer, bring up the interfaces with ip's
on the same subnet, and start using it.
>From memory I got about 17-20 MB/s, a healthy lead over 10/100
(10MB/s), but a far cry from 400Mbps. I suspect the laptop hardrive
was not much faster than 20MB/s, so that was likely the bottleneck. I
had no other firewire devices connected at the time.

Dave