Synaptic any better than Windows ?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 25 17:13:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 01:52 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Hmmmm, hum hum....mmmmmmm.......
>
> I tried to remove the 'powernowd' program, as it's installed by Ubuntu,
> but it doesn't work with my CPU apparently, so I would rather keep it
> from loading at boot. The less stuff in memory and on in the system disk
> partition, the better.
>
> So I removed it from Synaptic.... or so I thought !
>
> ....it appears that the script is still there in /etc/init.d, as well as
> 7 symlinks to it in each of the rcX.d directories.

There are two levels of removing a program.  One is 'remove', the other
is 'purge'.  This was done by design.  When you 'remove' the package,
the configuration files, including the startup scripts, are left behind
so that should you decide to install it again later, it will retain your
original configuration.  'purge' on the other hand will also remove the
configuration files.

If you look at the top of that init.d script, you'll see that it tests
for the presence of the powernowd, and exits if it's not found.  All
init.d scripts are required to do that, so that they can be safely left
on the file system by a 'dpkg' 'remove'.

Man pages of interest:

 man dpkg
 man apt-get
 man aptitude

Also see:

 http://www.debian.org/doc/

... in addition to the Ubuntu documentation and Wiki.