Sound has gone to static

Matthew B Philmon mattisking at pobox.com
Tue Jan 25 05:01:22 UTC 2005

Something I updated via apt-get last night or sometime today has killed
my sound. It's not GONE, instead it's constant loud hiss/static coming
out of one speaker. The speakers are fine (I checked). I have no idea
what has happened. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to trouble
shoot this?

Some applications play no sound, others play it with the static. If I
crank the volume to FULL Muine and MPlayer are both able to play
(somewhat over the static). Totem and Rythymbox make no sound at all.

Matt