Warty CPUupgrade: Intel Pentium III to AMD Sempron 2400

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 24 18:52:30 UTC 2005

<quote who="Daniel Robitaille">

> I have installed "linux-k7" in my Hoary test partition, and things seems
> to work fine after a reboot using the new kernel.  But when I do a "uname
> -a", I still see a "i686".  Is that an expected behaviour or something to
> be concerned?

That's expected behaviour. A k7 is just a slightly special i686. The name of
the kernel version is not directly related to the actual hardware platform,
for example:

quick: ~
$ uname -a
Linux quick 2.4.27-r5k-cobalt #1 Thu Dec 30 21:00:21 UTC 2004 mips GNU/Linux

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/

    Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so cold of
                       heart as never to express it.