Missing commands and weird behavior under Hoary Openoffice

Kent Frazier kentfrazier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 06:34:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:26:05 -0600, Kent Frazier <kentfrazier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all.  I just sat down to try to get some work done on my Thesis.
>  This is first time I have really attempted this under Linux, being a
> relatively recent Windows immigrant.  There are lots of items missing
> from the Insert menu.  I noticed this because I was trying to insert a
> page break, and I could not find the option where it normally is,
> under the Insert menu.  I then tried adding it to various menus, which
> seemed to succeed, but leads to a very large and ugly "Insert Manual
> Page Break" item on my menu.  I thought maybe the items had been moved
> to a different menu, but they are nowhere to be found.
>
> Also, the text I type is always double spaced, even when I have it
> explicitly set to single-spacing.  I was running OOo 1.1.3 on Windows,
> and my roommate is running it on SuSe, and the menus for both of them
> are appropriately laid out.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
>  I am kinda frustrated, because now I have to go boot into Windows
> just to do my work.
>
> For information's sake, I am running OOo 1.1.3-2.3ubuntu6 on a
> frequently updated Hoary.  I may have written a paper on Ubuntu last
> semester and had everything working, but I don't really remember.  I
> think I ended up booting into Windows because I the paper was in
> German and I couldn't get the keyboard to switch layouts so I could
> type umlaute (I have since gotten all that working).
>
> Anyway, can anyone confirm this problem?  Is this already known?
> Should I file a report with Bugzilla?
>
> Kent

OK, don't you hate when you try and try to get something to work, then
finally give up and ask for help, and then realize you were making a
stupid mistake to begin with?

Well I am a moron, cause the reason the insert menu was different and
the layout was screwed up was because I had opened the Writer/Web
component and not the Word Processor component.  Furthermore, I had
closed and opened the program multiple times, and I never realized I
was doing this.  For some reason I could have sworn that Word
Processor was the bottommost entry in the menu, but I was wrong.

Sorry for wasting your time and bandwidth.

Contritely,
Kent