package install dates, or log

Kent Frazier kentfrazier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:34:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:07:13 -0800, crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
<crimsun at fungus.sh.nu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:33:23PM -0800, Brian Craft wrote:
> > Can the install date of a package be queried? I can't find a list of
> > package variables that can be queried with dpkg.
>
> I highly recommend the use of aptitude for this precise reason, since it
> creates and maintains a /var/log/aptitude .
>
> --
> Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
> GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

I wonder why the Synaptic developers don't add logging at least as an
optional feature.  It seems like a very useful feature, I know I have
wished it existed several times.  Unfortunately, I find Aptitude to be
kinda ugly and much more difficult to use.  I have used it before when
X wouldn't start, and I was very happy to have it available, but I
wouldn't want to use it as my primary package manager interface.

Kent