KDE

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:38:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:18:14 +0100
Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski <opi at cyb3r.org> wrote:

> David M. Carney wrote:
>
> > ...or use Konstruct and build the latest KDE (3.3.91 Beta 1) like I did.
>
>   The problem with Konstruct is, when you compile it without root
> rigths, it won't be system wide. If you install it from root, you'll
> break deps. I guess you could install in a directory and tweak access
> rigth, but most people will have problem with this, also most of users
> don't need as bleading edge. :-)
>
> --
>   Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski
>   http://opi.pegasos.pl http://ubuntulinux.org

...plus the fact it's unsupported by Ubuntu which among other things means you can't use many KDE apps as root unless you enable the root account.

I'm on a single user system that my wife and I share. I seldom need root access and those programs that I do use that require root access can usually be either started from a terminal using sudo or the menu can be modified to use gksudo, at least in a few cases.

In our situation it works out great. But I'm glad you pointed out the possible shortcomings to the original poster.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958

http://carney1979.blogspot.com/