Debian or Ubuntu?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 23 07:43:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:39:26AM -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> I suggest the Ubuntu team consider relying a little LESS on code names
> and more on OS versions.

They serve two different purposes.  Version numbers (such as Ubuntu 4.10 and
5.04) refer to a specific, stable release, while the code names (such as
Warty and Hoary) refer to a branch of development.

I am running Hoary at the moment, but I am not running Ubuntu 5.04 (it
doesn't exist yet, and by nature cannot exist for some months yet ;-) ).

> By July of this year a trouble-shooter may ask a user:
> "Are you running Warty, Hoary, or Grumpy?"
> The user, "Huh? Warts, gumpiness? What the hell is 'hoary'?" I'm
> running Ubuntu 5.4!

At which point the troubleshooter has exactly the information they need.

--
 - mdz