why is Flight Gear so slow?

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 13:15:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 12:22, Douglas Alves wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 12:03 +0100, Danilo Piazzalunga wrote:
> > You can always try the "lspci -v" command. On my system it lists first the pci
> > devices, then the agp one(s), so I can see the video card at the end.
>
> Grazie milla Danilo!
> lspci -v Video result:
>
> VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
> (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 201
>         Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
>         Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [80] AGP version 2.0
>
> Does any experienced user know what I am missing in having an integrated
> video card like this? If I'm going to go out and buy a PCI add-on video
> card, I want to be sure what to look for. Unfortunately, these cards are
> mostly referenced by their mem capacity: 32Mb, 64Mb, 128Mb, etc. But I'm
> sure there must be another parameter I should be looking for. What is
> it?
> -Douglas

It would be better to get an AGP graphics card rather than PCI. AGP is
faster.
NVIDIA is by far and away the best option. Because nvidia provide linux
drivers, and have done for a while now, the performance is great. On
some games I get better performance from the nvidia card under linux
than when I used windows.
Enabling nvidia drivers on ununtu is very easy.
Anything above 64MB onboard is going to cope with  most things you'll
ask of it, including decent quality 3d stuff. Obviously the more RAM on
the card the better - if you're into gaming.
(I'm installing nvidia 64MB DDR AGPx8 cards into office machines at work
so that MS Office running on CrossOver Office will scroll word documents
properly (a specific mandrake issue) - talk about overkill. These cards
are now bottom of the range in terms of power/RAM and are consequently
seemingly the lowest spec 3d nvidia cards available if you're buying
new.)

regards

David