Switching video cards : "HowTo" ??

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Jan 22 09:47:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 12:57:26AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Yes, that would be ideal ! Please someone tell me how to do that...
> > > maybe just re-run "base-config" or something ??
> > >
> > > Vince, bored with troublesome ATI card... :o(
> >
> > sudo sh -c 'md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf > /var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum'
> > XORGFORCEPROBE=yes sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> With current Hoary, it's simpler, right?  This definitely deserves a short
> how-to, though.

... no.  But the variable name changed.

This is a lot of insanity inherited from Debian, and while some parts of it are
utter crap (for instance, if you delete xorg.conf, it will not get reinstated --
wtf?), but I like some parts.  If you change xorg.conf, your changes will be
respected and it will not get overwritten.  If there's a way to tell if we're
running through dpkg-reconfigure or just reconfiguring through an upgrade,
though, it might be good to stomp the config file regardless, because this is
basically the only question I *ever* field about xorg's debconfiscation.

XORG_FORCE_PROBE is there for good reason -- sometimes xresprobe is crashy or
gives the wrong values.  But I can definitely see the case for probing by
default, and having an option to explicitly *disable* xresprobe.  If configuring
with -plow, you'll get all the options seeded by xresprobe, but you can change
them.