Pine in Hoary

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:14:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:00:01 +0100, Martijn van de Streek wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> > > What's wrong with nano? You can just install that the "usual Ubuntu way"
> > > (using apt/synaptic). Just set your EDITOR environment variable and
> > > everything will work.
> >
> > I meant pine. pico is already included (fortunately).
>
> pico is under the same license as nano, so you're actually being fooled :)
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 2004-11-19 06:47 /usr/bin/pico -> /bin/nano

Sneaky buggers! I'll have to take a look under Ubuntu and see whether
that's just a sneak hack. Under OS X pico is UW version 2.5, under
YellowDogLInux it's UW version 4.6. Obviously these two distros (OS X
is a distro since it's a flavour of BSD) went to the trouble of
including pico (both) and pine (YDL).

> grep... grep... grep...
>         - Frog with a UNIX stuck in its throat

more jokes|grep choke|less puns