Editing hdparm.conf

ayam ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jan 21 03:05:04 UTC 2005

Thanks Shimura

That seemed to have done the trick! This is my output of hdparm
/dev/hdb after adding your suggested lines to /etc/hdparm.conf

/dev/hdb:
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
using_dma    =  1 (on)
keepsettings =  0 (off)
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 13328/15/63, sectors = 12594960, start = 0

My only concern is that there is no indication that the dma mode is
mode4 as described when I run

sudo hdparm -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 -X68 /dev/hdb at terminal I get this
response

setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 3
setting multcount to 16
setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
setting xfermode to 68 (UltraDMA mode4)
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
using_dma    =  1 (on)

Is the lines beginning with "setting" just a formality of the computer
reading my commands?

Otherwise when I run dmesg I still get /dev/hdb as being UDMA33  whichi
I am now really beginning to think is a UDMA33  probably time i got a
new hdd ;)

--
ayam