Setting partitions

alex radsky at ncia.net
Fri Jan 21 01:48:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:34 -0500, poofyhairguy wrote:
> pau Wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I have decided to install ubuntu on my laptop. Currently I have a
> > windows installation in a 60GB partition and I don't have any free
> > space. I installed Partition Magic but I keep getting an error every
> > time I launch the program. I'm not able to resize the partition in
> > order to create a new ext3 and swap partitions to install ubuntu.
> >
> > I was wondering if there is any way to manage partitions from ubuntu's
> > installer. I tryed to install it and when it comes the moment to use
> > the partitions I try to resize it without succes. Is there a way to
> > create a partition without erasing my windows files on NTFS?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Pau
> >

> Hmmm...Mandrake's installer does that well...so do Debian's
> experiamental one (I've heard).
>
> What I would do is use the Mandrake installer to split your partition
> (be sure to defrag the windows space really well or it won't work),
> then when it done turn off your machine and pop in the Ubuntu disk
> before Mandrake installs itself.
>

> --
> poofyhairguy

If the Windows is XP, the defrag display is for the original 60 GB C:
partition so when the defrag is complete, you'll have an idea how much
space your Windows occupies and how much free space will be available
out of that 60 GB. Now Linux's installer can set the upper limit of the
C: partition without losing Mandrake data.

The defrag display for Win98 is a little harder to interpret but the
same principle can be used, compact the Windows data to the lower end
of the C: partition before setting the upper limit of that partition.

It doesn"t hurt to rerun defrag a few times to make sure there aren't
any stragglers.

alex, the OF