newbie user/root dycotomy

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Fri Jan 21 01:47:39 UTC 2005

to, 2005-01-20 kello 18:21 -0400, Douglas Alves kirjoitti:
> I've downloaded some packages from universe and elsewhere, and saved
> them in my /home/.../Desktop but when I want to unpack them
> in /usr/local I'm told I don't have permission!
>
> What would be the way to go?
> (I'm trying to keep away from the Command line as much as possible)

Here's another newbie who wants to keep away from the command line :-) I
guess you might run Nautilus with root privileges, but when I once asked
about this someone said that doing this is definitely a no-no - I don't
know why. It would be good to be able to do "sudo" in Nautilus - you
would just give your password as you do when you launch Synaptic and
then just start messing up your system. We GUI people just are not
(yet?) equal with CLI people ;-) Ayway, I think you need root
priviledges for doing anything outside your home directory.

I'm sorry that I can't give you much more than sympathy here. Maybe
people who actually know something will tell you more.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo