why is Flight Gear so slow?

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Thu Jan 20 20:01:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:03 -0400, Douglas Alves wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 11:37 -0500, Will Backman wrote:
>
> > Run (from the terminal) glxgears and xdpyinfo.
> >
> > glxgears will tell you your frame rate.  If you have proper hardware
> > accelerated OpenGL, you should get frame rates in the thousands, and
> > only in the hundreds if you are using software OpenGL.
>
> 1) On starting glxgears it spat this error first:
>    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
>
>    Am I missing an upgrade or what?
>
> 2) glxgears reports 130 FPS if I'm not doing anything else. But what
> should I look for in xdpyinfo ?
>   Would selecting a screen mode of 800x600 improve things?

Missing DRI means that your video card is not doing the work.  It could
be that your card is not fully supported, or that you need to install
drivers from your hardware vendor.

I have also encountered cards that only work well at a particular color
depth.  For example, the ATI Voodoo cards only got DRI with 16bit color.

Do you know what video card/chipset you are using?

--
Will Backman
Coastal Enterprises, Inc.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can. Don't make me choose.