why is Flight Gear so slow?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 20 16:47:06 UTC 2005

> I installed FGFS and its dependencies from Warty's universe, but when I
> start it up, it functions in an intermittent manner: sound and movement
> for 2 seconds, silence & stillness for 2 seconds, and so on.
>
> My desktop's characteristics:
> RAM: 256 MB
> CPU 2.50GHz

I have a 1.5GHz CPU with a very modest GeForce 2 3D card, and it's
perfectly fluid, about 50FPS +/- 25FPS, so your CPU is certainly fast
enough.
I do have 512MB of RAM though, which I am sure helps. You should
consider upgrading.

That said, it doesn't sound like a H/W problem, must be some more
subtle/weird issue... :-/

Vince