Ubuntu Hoary and Bug Buddy

Matthew B Philmon mattisking at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 04:34:40 UTC 2005

Several times now while regularly updating Hoary some applications have
become unstable and crashed. This is certainly expected in a development
version of the distro.

That said, when something DOES crash, I often don't know where I should
submit my bug report. In particular, this is the 3rd time in the past
month or so that after a series of updates an application or two has
crashed and was caught by "Bug Buddy". The other 2 times I made a few
guesses and ultimately submitted my bug reports to Gnome's Bugzilla...
and in both cases the problem was fixed nearly immediately and Ubuntu
reflected that within a couple days... this time, I just don't know
where to submit the bug.

update-notifier crashes every time I log in, whether I log out first and
then back in, or log in after a reboot. Bug Buddy comes up with a fair
amount of detail (whenever possible I've installed the dbg package as
well as the normal and dev packages). However, from the application list
I can't figure out where 'update-notifer' fits. It's not listed. This
was the case the other two times as well but I figured it out.

Digging around on Ubuntu's Bugzilla I did find a place to file tickets
for update-notifier. In a case like this, or others, where should
tickets be filed? Do I let Ubuntu file the report with GNOME which has
been the case the last two times, or should I copy the reported data,
and then post it to the Ubuntu bugzilla manually?

Any advice would be good here. I'd like my usage of Hoary to be as
useful to it's development as possible.