hoary: fglrx-driver can't be removed

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jan 19 15:30:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:56:42PM +0200, Ilmari Vacklin wrote:
> The recent (today's) Hoary upgrade to Xorg from XFree for those using
> fglrx broke my setup. I can't remove fglrx-driver, as demonstrated
> below, and it conflicts with xorg-driver-fglrx, which is required for
> Xorg to run now. Fglrx-driver fails to remove due to a diversion being
> handled improperly, I guess.
>
> By the way, I'm writing this from console now, without X running, and
> vim takes *ages* to load. (I don't actually know if this is related to X
> not running..) Running 'vim -V' shows that it is opening an XSMP
> connection (which is?), which takes quite long and fails in the end,
> and then takes extremely long to load ~/.vim/after/plugin/*.vim.
> ~/.vim/after doesn't even exist!
>
> Anyway, here's the fglrx problem, which is the urgent one:

Sure.  And here's the process to fix it -- it's an absolute horror show,
apologies.

First, sudo dpkg -P fglrx-driver xorg-driver-fglrx xfree86-driver-fglrx.  This
will fail.
Then sudo rm -rf /usr/share/fglrx.
Edit /var/lib/dpkg/diversions, search for 'libGL'.  Remove that line and the
next two, which should all be mentioning libGL.
Now, run sudo dpkg -P fglrx-driver again.

Now sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx and forget that fglrx-driver ever
existed; this bug was only present for people who installed fglrx-driver
8.8.25-1ubuntu1, which was only in the archive for a day or so.