Any tips on securing a server?

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Wed Jan 19 01:10:41 UTC 2005

There are books written about securing Linux servers.. So there's a lot
of stuff you should/can do to secure your server.

Regarding your particular issue you could use a seperate partition where
people are allowed to upload files and mount it with the option "noexec"
so that nobody can execute scripts on that partion (please correct me if
I'm mistaken) - check out the other options you have for mounting
partitions. Another thing that can be done is denying people wx
(write,execute) permissions on the folder they are allowed to upload
stuff. Everything that's uploaded is hence not accessible for them. You
would have to check that stuff and then copy it into a folder where
people can access it.

Regarding your server I would recommend starting with the following:

http://www.seifried.org/lasg/
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/
http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#securing