Any tips on securing a server?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 18 23:21:45 UTC 2005

<quote who="Ben Hodgson">

> I have set up an internet server running qpopper, exim, webmin, apache and
> ProFTPd and have finished configuring the servers themselves. Now i'm
> trying to move onto security and protecting the machine from potential
> attacks.

First thing is to choose security supported packages in Ubuntu main, such as
dovecot (to replace qpopper), vsftpd (to replace proftpd) and apache2 (to
replace apache, in case you've installed 1.3). We do support exim, but don't
support webmin. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

      "And, most importantly, we now have modules named 'fontilus' and
        'themus' -- the two founders of GROME." - Jonathon Blandford