kernel upgrade and nvidia driver, how does it work.

Ubu Roi ravachol at home.nl
Tue Jan 18 22:01:35 UTC 2005

I am running warty on my laptop with nvidia chip.

I have the packages 'nvidia-glx' and 'nvidia-kernel-common'
installed and the 'linux-restricted-modules' package provides
'nvidia.ko'.

What happens when there is a kernel upgrade?

Does a new package 'linux-restricted-modules' get installed as a
dependent package with the kernel?
Do you also need new 'nvidia-glx' and 'nvidia-kernel-common'
packages?
Do you have to run "nvidia-glx-config enable" again?
Is it necessary to stop and start X?

Are there situations where using 'nvidia-kernel-source' makes sense?
What are the pros and cons of using the nvidia driver file from
their website directly (instead of the above steps).

Ubu