Dialup Modem Howto

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 16 23:23:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 11:51 -0500, Mtichell Moss wrote:
> I am a total linux newbie and I am trying to learn.  I have just
> received the UBUNTU distro and have been playing with the live cd before
> I take the plunge and install it on my hd, leaving Microsoft XP for
> good.  I am having problems with getting on to the internet via dial
> up.  I printed off the how to pages from the wikipage and it did not
> work.  What can I do now?  Mitch

Hi Mtichel,
try

from console
sudo adduser "your user name" dip
Hit the enter key, then
             pppconfig   hit enter key
Follow the prompts and enter info.(new account)

To connect from console type pon "ispp you entered in the config
section" and you should be connected.
You can use Modem lights to connect
Right click in panel at top, add to panel, scroll down to Modem lights.
Hope this helps
Take Care
Winton