network printer

albi albi at scii.nl
Mon Jan 17 00:02:20 UTC 2005

baza wrote:

> Anyone know how I can network the printer (HP) on my Ubuntu box so all
> the 'puters on my wireless network can use it??

(from the top of my head, disclaimer-might be terribly wrong)

in Gnome you go to the system-settings, --> printing, then choose
"jet-direct" (if your HP-printer supports that), type in ip-address
192.168.0.192 (if you're on the 192.168.0.* network), en choose your
printer-driver, and test a test-page

this assumes you have your printer directly plugged into the switch or hub

if that's not the case, you can set up samba (for windows- apple- and
linux-clients) on your file/print-server to let all the client print via
that file/print-server, this is a little more difficult, but see e.g.
here :

http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-faq.html#s_3
http://mumford1.dyndns.org/~bs7452/linuxhelp/cups.html
http://www.wlug.org.nz/SambaPrinting