Debian or Ubuntu?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at shot.pl
Sun Jan 16 23:34:27 UTC 2005

Hello.

David:

> I did the servers AFTER the desktops and decided that
> Debian Sarge was the way to go. The reasons were:
>
> * Ubuntu is X oriented, and I didn't want X on the servers

So don't install it. Do a 'custom' install of Warty (or, better yet,
a custom-expert one), it only installs ubuntu-base and lets you fetch
the rest that you need.

Things to consider, though:

- Ubuntu supports (security-wise) Warty's main and
  restricted, Debian doesn't support sarge at all yet;

- whe Debian finally supports sarge, it'll support all of
  it (it'll be like Ubuntu supporting main and universe);

- if Ubuntu's team meet their deadlines Ubuntu will support Warty until
  April 2006, Hoary between April 2005 and October 2006 and Grumpy
  between October 2006 and April 2007 - this means there will be
  supported and stable releases of new server software long before
  etch sees the light of the day (etch = sarge+1);

- Ubuntu support Apache 2 while not supporting Apache 1.3.

I'd choose Ubuntu (Warty) over sarge for my server.

> I'm told that running X on a server is a *potential* security
> hole, and the axiom applies: if you don't need it, don't run it.

You don't even have to install it (or any of the
other dependencies of ubuntu-desktop for that matter).

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
           I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not very good.