kernel questions

rodrigo ahumada rodahummont at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Jan 15 15:43:38 UTC 2005

El sáb, 15-01-2005 a las 12:23 -0400, Douglas Alves escribió:
> Gracias Rodrigo! ¿De qué parte de Iberia sois?

Valparaiso (you guess the country)

> Ahora...
>
> If I have a Celeron, can I install "linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-686", and then (if nothing goes wrong)
> uninstall my 2 (or 4) present kernels?
yep

> Does any one know the specific advantages in the -686 kernel ?

i hadn't tested enough kernels-386, the first thing i do when i try a
distro is to compile my kernel old way, but i heared that it's more
difference from 386 to [5,6]86 than 586 to 686 and up...

If you know very well your cpu and have time you can try to compile your
custom kernel, although improvements could be only psychological...