Reply-To issues proposed for Community Council agenda [Was: This Mailinglist]

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Sat Jan 15 12:19:16 UTC 2005

<quote who="Sean Miller">

> But, having seen most of the posters ask for a poll and none forthcoming,
> I do not think we will ever get anywhere. The pedants will win, we will
> all change the way we work to accommodate them... what a great advert for
> community it really is... 3 or 4 people impose their views on the masses
> yet again.
>
> And I thought Open Source was about enablement and empowerment! What a
> fool I am... take the aforementioned minority who continually put down
> anybody who asks for a change... don't they remind you of Bill Gates and
> his like?

Please read our code of conduct on the website. We have it so that we can
avoid this kind of behaviour or unproductive discussion in our community. Of
course, another simple rule is, "if you don't have anything nice to say,
don't say anything at all". That works pretty well in Ubuntu, too. :-)

I'm going to propose that we discuss this issue at the next Community
Council meeting, because as listmaster, I'm not very keen on rejecting or
accepting the suggestion outright - there will always be disappointment.

(Personally, I do not believe that munging the reply-to header is the right
thing to do for most discussion-oriented mailing lists, but it does depend
on the audience sometimes. So it could be argued that it's more appropriate
for the ubuntu-users audience. Even so, while this has informed the current
default, I'm going to delegate the decision to the Community Council. I do
not forsee this being changed on other Ubuntu lists, however.)

Let's end this dire thread here, and look forward to the next Community
Council meeting.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "People who paid for bug fixes in the 3c501 driver also bought MacIIfx
                      support contracts..." - Alan Cox