Gnome SSH

stoffe ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jan 14 23:42:02 UTC 2005

kloschi at subsignal.org Wrote:
> > kloschi at subsignal.org wrote:
> >> I asked that before, but it got lost in the thread ; )
> >> Prblem is that nautilus ssh doesn't workfor me.
> >> As example. I do:
> >>     a) Computer -> Home Directory
> >>     b) File -> Connect to server
> >>     c) Choose ssh, type ip, type username -> Connect
> >>     --> an ssh-folder-icon with the ip address as name appears on
> the
> >> Desktop
> >>     d) clicking on that gives me a popup which says "Opening IP. You
>
> >> can
> >>     abort that Action by pressing Cancel." (I freely translated that
>
> >> from
> >>     the German popup ; ) ) this message lasts there forever and I
> >> never get
> >>     connected to the remote machine
> >> What am I doing wrong?
>
> thanx for the good tips, but the problem lies somewhere
> else if think.
> using root-console with nautilus sftp://user@host gives the
> gnome-ssh-askpass up, storing the pass in the keyring or for
> the session this user can connect to that server or servers
> where he uses the same pass again and again.
>
> doing that without root permissions it fails in gui
> (file -> connect to server -> ssh ..) and also from
> commandline (nautilus sftp://user@host).
>
> could someone please try to reproduce this?
> if its reproducable I'll file a bug.
>
> regards,
> kloschi
>

> --
> its better to burn out than to fade away ..

I can reproduce that, both with sudo or with root console. Would very
much appreciate it if this was filed as a bug, as I'm in need of this
functionality and I'd be happy to have it directly in nautilus.

In the meantime, anyone have any good tips for SFTP clients to use, or
some way of getting this to work? I'm aware of the commandline one, but
I'd rather have a GUI one, and if possible one that integrates with the
environment... gFTP does not work, I'm not really sure what it does but
it looks like it tries to start a sftp server when it wants to connect,
and that doesn't work.

Thanks!

--
stoffe