Wireless Laptop?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 14 00:44:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:21 +0000, Angus wrote:
> I have just installed ubuntu onto my Toshiba Tecra A2 however I can't get my
> wireless to work. The laptop has the builtin wireless card and I using a D-link
> wireless router and help would be great.

Send us the output of 'lspci', so we can help you determine what
wireless card it uses.  Was the driver hotplug loaded already?  The
output of 'ifconfig' might show us that information, or "iwconfig".

Generally, the wireless LAN interface is named "wlan0", but for some
chipsets, it may have a different name.  I think the Intel card uses
"ethX", and the madwifi driver, for the Atheros chipsets, will use
"ath0" by default.

If the driver is not loaded by hotplug, then maybe you will need to add
it to your system.  Try installing the 'linux-restricted-modules'
package matching the kernel package you are running on, and see if it
shows up then.