"Linux version" of windows active directory

Ben Hodgson ubuntu-list at blahpro.com
Thu Jan 13 23:01:59 UTC 2005

I am trying to set up a server with serveral workstations to get things like user permissions, their home directory and what goup they are in etc (as well as authenticating their password) from the server - much like with active directory on windows setting things like disk quotas, user password etc etc.

I think I saw someone write something about using SAMBA to do this in a forum thread once - and ive heard of something called PAM (but i dont know if it is exactly related). Is anyone here able to point me in the right direction here - I'm completely in the dark!

Thanks,

Ben Hodgson
It has removed 6553 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!