This Mailinglist - another vote for sanity

CB ubuntu-users at crispin.cb-ss.net
Thu Jan 13 22:22:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:01 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

> The open-source community isn't a democracy! Yes, a technocratic elite
> is in charge! Get over it!

I did not mention the word 'democracy'. I'm not expecting to take a vote
on the next kernel patch. The word was 'community'. It is entirely
reasonable to expect that, on the behaviour of a community-based
user-centric mailing list, the desires of those users are at least
considered with respect. When some of those users disagree with the
cognoscenti, they should not be shouted down.

> >Ah, another person who can't resist abuse when people don't tug the
> >forelock appropriately. Really, some of you computer types are not fit
> >to be let out in public.
>
> Why are you still on this list if this irritates you so much?

Bad behaviour by a rude and unpleasant minority doesn't compel me to
abandon hearing from (and, who knows, maybe at some point helping) the
polite and pleasant majority.

I say it again (and this is much more important than the semantics of an
email header): possession of IT technical skills and the ability to
communicate sans physical proximity which the internet enables, do not
grant anyone a license to exempt themselves from human norms of
politeness and respect.