Trying to format my HDDs...

Lawrence MacIntyre macintyrelp at ornl.gov
Thu Jan 13 21:05:49 UTC 2005

It's not fast, but it's thorough.  As has been mentioned previously, if
you only want to zero the disk, and don't worry about the FBI or the KBG
(or whatever they're called now) decoding your disk, then dd
with /dev/zero or /dev/urandom is good enough and much faster.  You
don't want to try using /dev/random.  That would take FOREVER if used on
an entire disk.