Editing hdparm.conf

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Thu Jan 13 01:38:46 UTC 2005

wallijonn wrote on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:54:20 -0500:

> I just used /dev/hda1 as an example as Andrew only said /dev/hdX.
>
> So if it is a disk drive and it is the second disk drive that is giving
> him a problem then it would be /dev/hda2 or /dev/hda3 (just in case his
> swap is on /dev/hda2).

Yes, but /dev/hda1,2,3 or whatever is no diskdrive(HD). The numbers are
primary partitions on the diskdrive which is connected to the first IDE
bus as master drive.
The diskdrives are /dev/hda or /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd if you
have only one IDE controller.
So it is not "the second disk drive" when you use /dev/hda2. It is the
second partition on the disk drive which is connected as master to
the first IDE bus.
/dev/hda1,2,...,8,9,10,... are all partitions on one diskdrive.

When you do hardware related things like changing bus speed you use
the hardware devices /dev/hda,b,...

Markus