anyone got working "straw" packages for Hoary?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Jan 13 11:51:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:41:08PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:

>Magnus Therning writes:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:28:28PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:
>> >BTW one possible thing that might be worth noting as a "distro thing"
>> >rather than a single-package thing -- I found when I was attempting to
>> >build straw 0.25.1 that there were a lot of dependency packages
>> >required, and it was quite tricky to determine what the apt package's
>> >name would be, from the requested Python package's name.  in other
>> >words, it's not like perl, where a request for Mail::Audit means that
>> >you need to install libmail-audit-perl -- which, while obscure, is at
>> >least logical.
>> >
>> >Instead, to resolve a request for the python package "GObject", I had
>> >to go grepping through apt-cache search looking for
>> >GNOME/GTK+/glib-related python packages, and install a few "-dev" ones.
>> >This probably wouldn't have been an issue with a working apt-gettable
>> >package of course, but to a newbie at building python apps, it was
>> >quite tricky.
>> >
>> >I'm not quite sure what can be done here, since I think most of these
>> >are coming via universe, and I don't yet know what Ubuntu's policy is
>> >on renaming debian packages in Ubuntu.   But if possible, it might help
>> >if some "pseudo-packages" are created using something like the perl
>> >convention, which simply result in installing the correctly-named
>> >"python-foo-dev" package -- similar to how the ubuntu-calendar package
>> >works?  that, in my opinion, would help...
>>
>> Wouldn't it be good to report missing build dependencies as a bug?
>>
>> A quick look at the Build-Depends: in the source package compared to
>> the Depends: of the binary package suggests that the latter can be
>> used as a clue to improve on the former.
>
>in this case, though, I'm building from source tarball -- not from the
>source package.   I'd agree, if the src package leaves out build deps,
>that's definitely a package bug; but this case is slightly different.

I usually use http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
whenever I need to find out where a certain file can be found.

It seems to work for Ubuntu as well :-)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Some operating systems are called 'user friendly', Linux however is
'expert friendly'.