Does burning CD-RWs in Nautilus work for anyone without tweaking?

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:57:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:46:50 +0200, Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at luukku.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I start to believe that there is something badly wrong with burning
> CD-RWs in Nautilus. Has it actually worked for anyone right from the
> start without any command line magic? I have installed Warty in three

I have the same problem. My burner doesn't work. And I agree, IMHO, it
should work straight out of the box.

I've found that floppy and CD usage in linux is difficult to explain
to someone coming from windoze. They expect to use their floppy and cd
without any magic. And so they should. I understand the reason behind
linux/unix way. But it's not ideal for the home user and I haven't
found a good solution yet. Maybe someone out there has?

> different machines six times in all and in five of the times burning
> didn't work and I just don't know about the sixth one because the person
> I installed Ubuntu for hasn't done any burning yet (and I'm afraid of
> the moment he's going to).
>
> In one of the installations, the one I'm writing this at, burning
> started to work after a week seemingly by itself after I had tried
> everything I could without success. In the others no CD-RW would work,
> whether it was empty or had files in it. Today I visited my brother who
> needed to back up his files and I went to show him how to do it in Gnome
> - burning never worked. All I got was an error message "Insert a
> rewritable or empty disc" (my translation). When I tried to burn a CD-RW
> that was burned earlier in UDF-format (in Windows), I didn't even get an
> error message - the burning process just froze. I even went to Windows
> and emptied two CD-RWs with Nero, but I couldn't burn on neither of them
> in Nautilus.
>
> To my remembering this problem has been reported on this list several
> times before and by digging the archives I'd propably find a way to do
> the burning. I don't mind some problems - Ubuntu is a work in progress -
> but I can't tell my brother or other inexperienced GUI people to start
> to do things at the command line because there's a problem in Gnome (or
> were ever the problem is). It's out of the question to tell them to open
> the terminal and start to mount things everytime they just want to back
> up their files. My brother is starting to miss Windows already (It's not
> just burning CD-RWs that he has problems with - floppies don't mount,
> document names are changed partly unreadable (that non-ASCII-thing,
> change to UTF didn't help) and the other day his desktop went crazy
> leaving changed settings and displaced files behind, etc. - I'll put
> these in separate messages).
>
> For me these problems with burning CD-RWs in Nautilus seem like a
> serious bug. Perhaps the problem is more common than developers know.
> What about testing this by trying to burn with Nautilus on fresh
> installations before installing other burning software or tweaking? Is
> it possible to have an update that would fix this, if the problem indeed
> is common? Most people that I know use CD-RWs to back up their files and
> to my regret for the time being I have to stop recommending Ubuntu for
> novice users unless I somehow get certainty of that I have just had very
> bad luck and burning CD-RWs in Nautilus works generally well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari Torhamo

Regards,
Russ