Switching video cards : "HowTo" ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 12 14:39:41 UTC 2005

Is there a "HowTo" that explains all the steps that one needs to do to
switch video cards ?

I currently have an ATI Rage 128 in the AGP slot, but I think it causes
me many problems, will give 3D on some games but not the ones I want to
play, also suspect it causes my cursor problems (keeps going all black),
and also regular hard locks or X restarting every other weeks after
several days running non stop without problems.

My motherboard has a built-in video chip which is completely different
(Nforce NVidia Geforce 2), so I am thinking, maybe it will solve some or
all of the problems mentionned above.

But I bet if I just unplug the ATI card, Ubuntu might detect the Nvidia
chip, but will 'X' reconfigure itself automagically before starting
GDM/Gnome ?

So, I think a "HowTo switch video adapter" would be a nice addition to
the Wiki....

Vince