Suggestion

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 12 03:30:17 UTC 2005

Hi all,
first thanks to everyone who helped with my 1st install probs, very much
appreciated.Ran 6 hrs of memory test, no probs, re-installed with hda7
as /home and everything works (except totem but am working on that.)
Modified the fstab file from Knoppix and it all works :-)

My suggestion:In a future release of Ubuntu,  would it be possible to
have a page opening when Gnome first opens with a few how to's
e.g.(similar to Knoppix)
How to setup an internet connection.(how to find and use modem lights)
I looked for it everywhere, finally found it by accident in "Add to
Panel" still trying to get it to work)
I looked for quite some time before someone told me adduser "name" dip
A new user would never work it out. Without the connection there is no
way for info to be gotten. This is a big problem for me not having
anyone in the area to discuss linux with.The CD's I am sharing around
don't have a manual.
Info on how to setup /etc/fstab. Anyone stepping up from windows has no
knowledge of fstab, or how to go about setting it up.
How to add a printer.(I am  still trying to work that out)
A list of url's where info can be obtained after a dial up connection is
made. The man pages for the uninformed don't really help, new users
don't know about them anyway.
I live in the country where I know of no other linux user, but am trying
to spread it around, but it will never be a stand alone operating system
here, so it will be co-existing with windows for most. The fstab info
would be very handy when windows partitions cannot be accessed.
I have helped a few with mandrake10, but at the moment with ubuntu it
would be the blind leading the blind. Have around 25 years left, but at
my age, information retention is not one of my strong points :-)
Having used Gnome for a while I now prefer the unclutered style, but for
anyone newly converted from Windows, kde is a better proposition as far
as finding things.
Many thanks again,
Take Care
Winton