Here is an annoying thing

CB ubuntu-users at crispin.cb-ss.net
Tue Jan 11 19:12:31 UTC 2005

Jozsef Mak wrote:

> When i double click a video clip to play it in Mplayer a window pops
> up with the following message;
>
> The filename "ogy.wmv" indicates that this file is of type "Microsoft
> WMV video". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
> "Microsoft ASF video". If you open this file, the file might present a
> security risk to your system.
>
> Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
> the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
> the correct extension for "Microsoft ASF video", then open the file
> normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific
> application for the file.
>
> Then i have to rename the file each time otherwise the system doesn't
> let me play.
>
> I am not sure that this message is generated by Ubuntu or Mplayer.
> What i know is that extremely annoying. How can i make this thing go
> away?
>
> jozsefmak

I have the same problem too, and don't know a good answer. I assume that
somewhere it is possible to configure nautilus to avoid this, but
haven't found it yet.

However, you don't really have to rename the file. Just right-click and
choose 'open with other application' from the context menu. If you type
in the name of the app you use (gxine in my case), it'll open fine.

Here's an oddity though: the case of the file extension does affect this
behaviour:
filename.wmv displays the warning and doesn't open.
filename.WMV though is fine.
This is why I expect it is possible to configure nautilus to fix this --
it looks to me like .WMV is not registered with the system at all, so it
just accepts the fileheaders definition of the file type. I assume it
might be possible to either remove .wmv or alter it to be of type
'Microsoft ASF video'. But I don't know where any of this happens.