This Mailinglist

CB ubuntu-users at crispin.cb-ss.net
Tue Jan 11 00:24:09 UTC 2005

Oliver Grawert wrote:

>did you think about the fact that people that read mailing lists since
>some years and have never seen any other behavior then the current one
>used on this list are simply tired to discuss it ?

Both sides of this discussion claim that the behaviour they want is the
one they are used to from other lists. Can't we just accept each others
honesty then and admit that both ways (with and without rewritten
reply-to's) must be used in different lists? I don't believe either camp
is made up largely of liars.

>i personally would unsubscribe from this list if it wouldnt fullfill the
>rfc standards that apply since decades and would stay with the -devel
>list then instead. the rfc standards are not just papers someone wrote
>for fun in ancient times of networking. they are simply the base for
>everything you know on the internet today. i dont think that Martin is
>as alone as you would like to present him here (and i won't follow up on
>this thread btw).

On this general point. Arguing that RFC's have to be followed on every
single point, always, everywhere, under every circumstance, regardless
of what people want, is a kind of 19-th century 'argument from
authority/tradition' that is a bit extreme imho. It is subtle and
arguable though, because I agree with that accepted conventions should
in general be adhered to, and I get annoyed when MS and other large
corporations subvert them. Sometimes though things do change, or a new
culture develops within certain communities, or the nature of the
communities using certain internet services change; and the rules have
no divine authority that can absolutely stamp out such change.

It does seem that people here want a vote, on this issue, for this list.
If such a thing comes about, can't your camp just argue it's case, and
if the majority don't agree, just accept it (even if you think the
majority is being irrational)? Isn't the value of this list in terms of
communicating about ubuntu more significant than the disvalue of not
following one small rule? Unsubscribing from the list on this basis
would seem (to me) like a victory for petty bureaucracy, and a defeat
for open communication. I've found your posts on various topics here
very useful, and I'm sure others have too.