usbdisks don't appear on desktop

hashimoto ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Jan 9 12:39:13 UTC 2005

I updated to Hoary on January 6th. It worked then, but after running
updates on 8th I got the same symptoms.

For me the CF and CDROM work similarly: They mount but the icon does
not appear on the desktop. For my CF reader a window pops up suggesting
that I import pics from it; for a CDROM Nautilus opens up.

The icon for the desktop appears when I go to Places > Computer  and
try to mount the CDROM. I get a message saying that it is already
mounted and then the icon appears as well as an entry to Places just
below the Computer. For CF reader this does not work though (but it's
mounted)

Something has been changed in hotplug/hal between 6th and 8th causing
this penomena.

BR
Hashimoto

--