Setting-up apache & php

David david at kenpro.com.au
Sun Jan 9 12:10:56 UTC 2005

You have to install libapache2-mod-php4 to get started. Then there are
numerous other php modules you may need. apache2 has a new way of handling
modules. If you are familiar with apache 1.3 you had better check it out
first because it's different enough to cause confusion.
/etc/apache2/README.

First, to find any modules you need, I suggest you do a search of the apt
archive. I use apt-get on the command line to do this, and I've never used
synaptic, which does the same sort of thing in the gui. This is what I do:

#apt-get update                    ---> make sure your sources are uptodate
#apt-cache search php4 | less      ---> enables you to choose modules
#apt-get install libapache2-mod-php4  ----> installs latest php4
                                      -----> same for any other modules
#a2enmod php4                        ----> "enables" php4 for apache2
                                     ----> do this for any apache2 modules
#/etc/init.d/apache2 reload          ----> loads apache modules

I don't think I have forgotten anything, but if it doesn't work, then I
have! ;-)

> As you can tell I am new to this. I'm trying to setup php and create
some
> experimental scripts. Apache is installed OK and I think I have
downloaded
> the necessary files for php but I can't find out how to get started
(assuming I've downloaded the right files!).