can't send email

word_virus ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Jan 9 07:41:39 UTC 2005

> This morning I installed Thunderbird & it was also unable to send
email.

Is this a home system?

Had the same problem (could receive email but not send) when I first
installed Ubuntu.  Turns out the DNS servers Ubuntu found via DHCP
weren't the ones my ISP (Ntelos) recommended I use and had port 25
(SMTP) blocked.  Adding the correct DNS numbers fixed the problem.

Call your ISP and ask for their DNS addresses and add them under, I
think, Computer -> Settings -> Network -> DNS tab and see if that
works.

Hope this helps!

--
word_virus