nvidia driver problems

Kristian Hermansen khermansen at ht-technology.com
Sun Jan 9 03:09:10 UTC 2005

I am new to Ubuntu, but have been fooling around with Linux for years
and just recently got over Gentoo recently.  Anyways, I am having a
problem that I once had in Gentoo as well that may have something to do
with the XFree configuration.  I am running a laptop that has a
widescreen 1280x800 resolution that has problems with both the nv and
nvidia drivers.  If I use the nv driver, whenever I try to switch to the
terminal windows with ctrl-alt-fx I get a grabled screen with a weird
refresh problem.  If I switch back to X with ctrl-alt-f7, everything
gets back to normal.

I really want to use the nvidia driver instead because this seems to be
a known issue with the nv driver on widescreen laptops.  The problem is
that the nvidia driver only produces a blank screen on bootup!  I can
hear the drum roll in Warty prompting me at the login screen, but I get
nothing on the screen.  Just black.  This must be a common issue and I
might be doing something stupid, however, I also ran into this with the
latest nvidia drivers 66xx in Gentoo -- although 6111 worked just fine.
Has anyone seen this screen blanking issue with the nvidia driver
before, most likely occurring on widescreen laptops???  Thanks in
advance...
--
Kristian Hermansen <khermansen at ht-technology.com>