/windows permissions

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 07:48:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 07:24, Sean Miller wrote:
> Anyone know a way to make /windows accessible to others than root?
>
> I have tried tweaking /etc/fstab, I have tried manually mounting with
> options, but whatever I do the filesystem remains owned by root with
> everybody else only having read access... this means that in Nautilus
> all files appear as little gnome feet rather than whatever they are,
> preventing me from navigating through the windows directories to find
> files -- only way is to do a sudo nautilus which should not, really, be
> necessary.
>
> This doesn't happen on other distros I have used (eg. SuSE, Red
> Hat/Fedora) where I have used directories within the windows filesystem
> for Linux, through symbolic links (ie. /storage => /windows/linux) or
> similar...
>
> Is this a feature of Ubuntu? Perhaps designed to prevent accidental
> damage to a dual-boot Windows installation? If so, I can understand the
> reasoning but would love to switch it off... any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Sean

When I had Windows on my machine (mmm it sure is sweet to say that in
the past tense) I had the following line in fstab

/dev/hda1   /win    vfat   umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850	0
0

(All on one line)

And Windows was readable and writable by me as user and the icons were
correct.

Hope that helps.

David