upgrading to firefox 1.0 through apt?

tiiim ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Jan 6 12:49:34 UTC 2005

David Collett Wrote:
> Whats wrong with the official debian packages?
> firefox 1.0 has been in unstable and testing (sarge) for yonks. And
> being official debian, there is a ppc version. Mind you I havent tried
> this, there may be some dependancy problems, but probably solvable
> ones.
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:16:41 -0500, tiiim <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > wallijonn Wrote:
> > > You will need to first install through SPM -> libpng3
> > >
> > > To install DOM, you'll need to install through SPM ->
> > > liblinc1
> > > libbonobo-activation
> > > libbonobo-activation4
> > >
> > > Then you can "dpkg -i" the Debian packages.
> > unless ur of cause one of us ppc users in which case u either need to
> > use the hoary sources or google around to find a ppc deb version! If
> > you end up going to firefox site on the ppc it thinks ur a pc not
> good
> > for installing.... i personally just waiting for either a backport
> ppc
> > version or maybe use hoary for it but still thinking its not a rush
> the
> > next release of Ubuntu will be soon.
> >
> > --
> > tiiim
> >
> > --
there is depency problems but they can be sorted i installed it
yesterday but was a few minor issues when displaying the new version so
reverting back. You could always get the hoary sources just to download
it? but it not a prob you need to download to other files for depency
but warning if you download the other packages you wont be able to
remove them cos' it will remove a lot more. You can only remove firefox
1.0 then install old one from CD then restart or log out of Ubuntu then
firefox will be fixed. that just a warning if it goes wrong. You can
try it but if you want to be safe then stick on the Ubuntu side.

The Ubuntu and debian file system are very similar but there is minor
differences and if you download a bad file it could cause a massive
conflict it shouldnt be a prob but as always take caution but there a
90+% chance it work but you be warned just in case just have a warty cd
to hand.

--
tiiim