Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

anthony23 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Jan 6 12:52:20 UTC 2005

Has anyone here tried this minimal install. successfully?/with
problems?

I have been trying to follow this how to but can't get icewm to load
from the universe repository. I get access to the repository using
apt-get update and I was able to

install xserver using

# apt-get install xserver-xfree86

but I keep getting error messages and 'can't find package messages when
I try to install icewm.

I followed these instructions:

vi apt/sources.list

(If you are not familiar with vi you can use nano or any other
texteditor instead.)
Enable the universe-repository by removing the Hashmarks (=# (2
times))

removed the hash marks

then

apt-get update

then

apt-get install icewm

I receive a number of err and could not stat messages ending with
message

E: Couldn't find package icewm

Somehow the same process worked with x
# apt-get install x-window-system-core

but not icewm

could it be a problem with network connection (ethernet to a DSL
router)? and if so how do I fix the network connection from the first
stage of this install i.e.

This guide is exactly what I need to get an old box running and haul it
and myself into the wonderful world of Ubuntu Linux. hope someone can
help.
Ant

--
anthony23