Automatic Backup software

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Tue Jan 4 23:52:00 UTC 2005

On 04.01.2005 18:43, Oliver Grawert schrieb:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 04.01.2005, 18:23 +0100 schrieb Markus Kolb:
>
>>can anyone recommend an opensource backup software which can do
>>automatic, unattended backups.
>
> i used amanda for central backup in big setups some years ago...
> it has a high learning curve and is a real heavyweight but fully
> automated and configurable...

Isn't it very restricted and unflexible?
So to say the name (_Automatic_ Network Disk Archiver) is program.

I've found this:
# In the classic backup scheme you said:
# “I want to have incremental backups from Mo-Th and a full backup on Fr.”
#
# Using AMANDA you say:
# “I want to have at least one full backup in 5 days.”
#
# So you don't have to specify exactly WHEN the full backup should happen.
# You just tell AMANDA some goals it should reach and let it work
# out the details.

What is if I want that Amanda starts now, in this moment, a full backup
because when it has finished I'll do an OS upgrade or something like that?
Will Amanda collect every file on a full backup or only changed files
and will it manage the fullbackup by using already backuped (not
changed) files?

Could it be that there is another documentation which describes better
how Amanda works? The online docs, I've found, only explains simple
configuration, tool commands and FAQs. Nothing strategic.

Markus