Internet Connection Problem

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 19:04:05 UTC 2005

At 15:42 04/01/05, hien vu wrote:

>I've just installed Ubuntu 4.10 on my Fujitsu-Siemens
>Amilo M laptop and can't get my modem to connect.

Other people have already given good advice about software/Winmodems.

There is good information and helpful utilities at the http://linmodems.org
site;
I especially recommend using the scanmodem utility as it can help with the
details of getting your modem set up.

It is fiddly, but you should succeed eventually.  (Though the suggestion
about using an external modem is a good one too.)

>I used network-admin command and network wizard to setup

My personal experience, and that of some other users, is that network-admin
and the wizard aren't very good at setting up dialup modems.  (The Ubuntu
developers recently confessed that they only had one dialup modem between
the forty or so of them when they started the project >:-})

You may well do better by deleting that setup and starting over again using
the pppconfig utility.  This needs to be run in a (root) terminal and isn't
very
pretty, but it will set things up properly so that the modem can be started by
the command 'pon' and stopped by 'poff'.

You can then add the 'Modem Lights' applet to the top menu panel on the
desktop. This allows users to turn the modem on and off easily.  (The applet
uses the pon and poff commands;  users do need to be in the 'dip' group for
this to work.  You can set this in pppconfig or via the 'Users and Groups'
gui.)

>Another thing /dev/modem doesn't exist.

The instructions for dealing with this should be in the information about
setting
up for Winmodems.  The main thing is that you will probably have to make a
symbolic link that points to your particular modem device.  Sometimes devices
are created automatically when needed in Ubuntu, I don't know the details about
how that works.  (Sorry!)

Neil